Every ingredient that goes into our hair and skincare products is rigorously researched to ensure the highest quality, best manufacturing processes, and most sustainable way of incorporating them into the product. In fact, some ingredients are no longer used due to new developments in sustainability!
From our packaging...
- We repurpose packaging we receive with ingredient orders
- We use biodegradable packing peanuts (they dissolve in water)
- We use recyclable aluminum tins and compostable paper tube packaging (debuting late 2021)
- Our tins are built as thick as necessary but as thin as possible in order to degrade faster.
- Our mailing boxes aren't made to last - so they degrade faster in a landfill
- We are researching ways to sustainably make our labels. The current bioplastic only composts in the perfect conditions, and won't compost in a landfill. Rather than shipping in bioplastic labels from far away, we source thin, local vinyl labels for our products and print on package whenever able.
To Our Processes...
- Our manufacturing facility is powered by solar power
- We handmake each and every product to ensure quality, but to also support local Hawaiian economy and provide new jobs as we grow
- We ship via USPS because it is the most efficient and environmentally friendly way to ship
- We ship in sets because the environmental cost to ship one 5oz product just doesn't make sense us. We try to be mindful about our sets and offer thoughtfully curated combinations that work together and work well in the environment they're designed for.
- If your cart is under 100g, the checkout button will be disabled. Why? Because shipping in sets reduces emissions, and encourages thorough research before buying.
To Our Ingredients...
- We strive to ensure all of our ingredients are approved by ECOCERT GREENLIFE, conform to the COSMOS standard. ECOCERT Greenlife is the global leader in the certification of natural or organic cosmetics and raw materials. By implementing and enforcing the COSMOS standard, the organization has united the international cosmetics sector with the aim of achieving long-term sustainability. Read more about the COSMOS STANDARD here.
- By 2022, we want to see 100% of our ingredients and then our products will be officially certified by the COSMOS Standard
- We source ingredients as locally as possible, and when we can't find them here, we source them from local farms and producers in the USA who often produce small batches of our ingredients in the most sustainable way possible. This is why our prices seem high at first, but when you compare them to any other eco-conscious product, then add the fact that we are all Organic, Vegan, Plastic Free and Handmade, you'll understand our value. We also produce out of Hawaii, which is one of the most expensive shipping ports globally.
- Our ingredients are researched to ensure each one does no harm to the aquatic environment should it come in contact with it. Therefore we often choose not to use ingredients found in many other "natural" haircare products.
Subscribe to our newsletter to get the most up to date information on ingredient research and awareness, as well as tips on how to live a more low-waste, balanced life.